Tuesday, 28 February 2017

Stages in the development of a watercolour

Slowly, very slowly, I am learning how to handle water colour paints. They are great fun but also very difficult to master. As much as I try for a free, loose style I am continually drawn to a more controlled style.

Here is the evolution of a small painting of a Superb Blue Wren from the initial sketch to almost finished. There is still more to do but I am at that difficult stage in this painting where it is just too easy to do too much, to go to far. I am frozen at the moment - afraid to put brush to paper! I think I need to leave it for a few days and come back with fresh eyes.


First pencil sketch.


Pencil to water colour paper

First colour applied
Next addition of colour


Adding more texture

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slide Show